Basic Bike Maintenance
Our one-day basic course is designed for people with little or no knowledge of bike maintenance. We run this for a full day to ensure that participants leave the end of the course with the confidence to fix common problems with their bike. There is plenty of time for practice and the maximum group size is 6 with our fully trained mechanic on hand to help out and answer questions as they come up. The course runs from 10am-4pm.
- Diagnosing problems with your bike (‘M’ check)
- Learning names for different parts of the bike and their roles
- Learning about tyre pressure and wheel sizes
- Removing and replacing your wheels correctly
- Fitting a new inner tube without causing a puncture
- Mending a puncture
- Replacing your brake blocks and setting them to achieve maximum wear and braking power
- Learning how to clean and lubricate brake cables
Please note that we will be concentrating on standard derailleur geared bikes and V-brakes. If you have a Dutch bike with hub brakes and gears, you may find some parts of this course irrelevant to your bike, though most things are transferable. If you have any questions or worries, do please ask.
The course costs £60 per person and includes:
- All tools and equipment
Once you've submitted the online form below, you'll be able to pay online and further instructions for the course will be emailed to you. Refunds for courses are only given under exceptional circumstamces and never within 7 days of the advertised course. If we cancel the course for any reason a full refund will be given and a choice of alternative dates offered. If you have any further questions, do please get in touch. Finally, if you're a Cambridge Cycling Campaign Member, we offer a 15% discount to support the good work that they do. Please put your membership number in the 'other details' section if this applies.